REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Raise the vehicle on a hoist and support the axle assembly with a suitable lifting devise. For the 9 3 / 4 in. (247.65mm) ring gear and the 10 1 / 2 in. (266.7mm) ring gear axles, raise the vehicle and place jackstands under the frame side rails for support.
- Drain the lubricant from the axle housing and remove the driveshaft.
- Remove the wheel, the brake drum or hub and the drum assembly.
- Disconnect the parking brake cable from the lever and at the brake flange plate.
- Disconnect the hydraulic brake lines from the connectors.
- Disconnect the shock absorbers from the axle brackets.
- Remove the vent hose from the axle vent fitting (if used).
- Disconnect the height sensing and brake proportional valve linkage (if used).
- Support the stabilizer shaft assembly with a hydraulic jack and remove (if used).
- Remove the nuts and washers from the U-bolts.
- Remove the U-bolts, spring plates and spacers from the axle assembly.
- Lower the jack and remove the axle assembly.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.