REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise and support the vehicle. Position the jackstands under the frame rails.
- Support the axle with a floor jack so that the weight is taken off the springs.
- Remove the spring-to-axle U-bolts, spacers and clamp plate.
- Remove the front bolt from the spring eye and loosen the shackle to withdraw the lower shackle bolt.
- Remove the spring from the van.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Position the spring so that the head of the center bolts is indexed in the axle spring seat. Be sure that the spring spacer is properly positioned. Tighten the U-bolt nuts and front spring bolt to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm). Tighten the shackle bolts to 50 ft. lbs. (67 Nm).
See Figure 3
- Raise and support the van.
- Support the axle so that the weight is taken off the springs.
- Loosen, buy do not remove the spring-to-shackle retaining nut.
- Remove the nut and bolt securing the shackle to the spring hanger.
- Remove the nut and bolt securing the spring to the front hanger.
- Remove the U-bolt retaining nuts and remove the U-bolts and spring plate.
- Remove the spring.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure that the spring is in position at both hangers. The shackle assembly must be attached to the rear spring eye before installing the shackle to the rear hanger. Tighten the U-bolt nuts to 120 ft. lbs. (162 Nm) on G-10, 1500, 20, and 2500 models or 150 ft. lbs. (203 Nm) on G-30 and 3500 models. Torque the front eye bolt and rear shackle bolt to 135 ft. lbs. (183 Nm).
Aftermarket kits, consisting of longer axle U-bolts and blocks to be placed between the spring and axle, are available to adjust the rear side height. If this modification is carried to extremes, the front end caster angle and rear end stability will be affected.