REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
Vehicles up to and including 1995 model year have the back-up light switch mounted on the steering column. On the 1996 model year vehicles, the back-up light switch is part of the neutral safety switch mounted on the side of the transmission. Refer to the procedure for replacement of the neutral safety switch is this section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- From the steering column, disconnect the electrical harness connector from the back-up light switch.
- Using a small prybar, expand the back-up switch-to-steering column retainers and remove the switch from the steering column.
- Place the gear selector in NEUTRAL and align the actuator on the switch with the hole in the shift tube. Align the mounting tangs with the mounting holes and press down to lock in place.
- Connect the electrical harness connector to the back-up light switch.
- Connect the negative battery cable to the battery.
- Move the gear selector through all the positions including PARK and LOW . This should ratchet the switch and self adjust it.
- Place the gear shift lever in the REVERSE position and check that the back-up lights turn on.