REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable for safety.
- Block the front wheels.
- Raise and support the rear of the vehicle safely using jackstands. Raise the rear of the vehicle sufficiently to keep all of the fluid in the transmission, away from the rear extension housing. If this cannot be done, the transmission pan will have to be removed in order to drain the fluid.
- Matchmark and remove the driveshaft as outlined in this section.
- Using a suitable prybar or better yet, a seal removal tool (these are usually inexpensive and make the job much easier), pry the rear seal out of the extension housing.
- Coat the outside of the seal with a suitable non-hardening sealer.
- Install the new seal with a suitable driver or seal installer.
- Align and install the driveshaft.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.