When the term Electronic Control Module (ECM) is used in this guide it will refer to the engine control computer regardless that it may be a Vehicle Control Module (VCM), Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Electronic Control Module (ECM).
The Electronic Control Module (ECM) is required to maintain the exhaust emissions at acceptable levels. The module is a small, solid state computer which receives signals from many sources and sensors. It uses this data to make judgments about operating conditions and then controls the emission systems to match the current requirements.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disengage the connectors from the ECM.
- Remove the ECM from behind the glove box on the passenger compartment side.
- Install the ECM.
- Engage the electrical connectors.
- Connect the negative battery cable.