REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the engine cover.
- Remove the air cleaner and intake duct.
- If applicable, remove the coolant recovery reservoir.
- Drain the radiator until the coolant is below the thermostat level (below the level of the intake manifold).
- Remove the upper radiator hose from the outlet elbow.
- Remove the water outlet elbow assembly from the engine. Remove the thermostat from the engine.
- Clean the gasket surfaces on the water outlet elbow and the intake manifold. Use a new gasket when installing the elbow to the manifold.
Install the new thermostat making sure the spring side is inserted into the engine. Tighten the thermostat housing bolts as follows:
1987-95 4.3L, 5.0L and 5.7L models; 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm)
- Connect the upper radiator hose to the outlet elbow.
- If applicable, install the coolant recovery reservoir.
- Install the air cleaner and intake duct.
- Connect the negative battery cable and install the engine cover.
- Refill the cooling system. Start the engine and check for leaks.
See Figures 6 through 10
See Figures 11 and 12
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the upper fan shroud.
- Drain the cooling system to a point below the thermostat.
- Remove the engine oil dipstick tube brace and the oil fill brace.
- Remove the upper radiator hose.
- Remove the water outlet.
- Remove the thermostat and gasket.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
- Use a new gasket coated with sealer, Make sure that the spring end of the thermostat is in the engine. Tighten the bolts to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm) on 1987-91 models and 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm) on 1992-97 models.