REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L and 7.4L Engines
See Figures 1 through 8
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the radiator. Remove the fan shroud.
- Remove the drive belt(s).
- Remove the alternator and other accessories, if necessary.
- Remove the fan, fan clutch and pulley.
- Remove any accessory brackets that might interfere with water pump removal.
- Disconnect the lower radiator hose from the water pump inlet and the heater hose from the nipple on the pump. On the 7.4L engine, remove the bypass hose.
- Remove the bolts, then pull the water pump assembly away from the timing cover.
- Clean all old gasket material from the timing chain cover.
- Install the pump assembly with a new gasket. Tighten the bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Connect the hose between the water pump inlet and the nipple on the pump. Connect the heater hose and the bypass hose (7.4L only).
- Install the fan, fan clutch and pulley.
- Install and adjust the alternator and other accessories, if necessary.
- Install the drive belt (s). Install the upper radiator shroud
- Fill the cooling system. Connect the battery.
See Figure 4
- Disconnect the batteries, negative cable first.
- Remove the fan and fan shroud.
- Drain the radiator.
- If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, remove the air conditioning hose bracket nuts.
- Remove the oil filler tube.
- Remove the drive belt(s).
- Remove the generator pivot bolt and remove the generator lower bracket.
- Remove the vacuum pump and bracket.
- Remove the power steering pump bracket.
- Disconnect the bypass hose and the lower radiator hose.
- Remove the water pump bolts.
- Remove the water pump plate and gasket and water pump.
- If the pump gasket is to be replaced, remove the plate attaching bolts to the water pump and remove (and replace) the gasket.
- When installing the pump, the flanges must be free of oil. Apply an anaerobic sealer (GM part #1052357 or equivalent) as shown in the accompanying illustration.
The sealer must be wet to the touch when the bolts are tightened.
- Attach the water pump and plate assembly. Tighten the bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm), except the three lower right side bolts. Tighten these three to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
- Connect the bypass hose and the lower radiator hose.
- Install the power steering pump mounting bracket.
- Install the alternator lower bracket.
- Install the alternator pivot bolt.
- Install the drive belt (s).
- Install the oil filler tube.
- If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, install the air conditioning hose bracket nuts.
- Fill the radiator.
- Install the fan and fan shroud.
- Connect the batteries.