See Figure 1
- Support the weight of the control arm at the wheel hub.
- Wipe the ball joints clean and check the seals for cuts or tears. If a seal is damaged the ball joint MUST be replaced.
- Measure the distance between the tip of the ball joint stud and the grease fitting below the ball joint.
- Move the support to the control arm and allow the hub to hang free. Measure the distance again. If the variation between the two measurements exceeds 3 / 32 in. (2.4mm) the ball joint should be replaced.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 2, 3 and 4
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Support the lower control arm with a floor jack.
- Remove the wheel.
- Remove the lower stud cotter pin and loosen, but do not remove, the stud nut.