3-Speed Column Shift
See Figure 1
The gearshift linkage should be adjusted each time it is disturbed or removed. The 1st/reverse rod must be adjusted before the 2nd/3rd rod.
- Loosen the shift rod-to-transmission lever bolt.
- Move the 1st/reverse transmission lever to the front detent, or, the 2nd/3rd transmission lever to the front detent, then back 1 detent.
- Put the 1st/reverse column lever into reverse and lock the column, or, put the 2nd/3rd column lever into Neutral.
- Using a 1 / 4 in. (6mm) drill bit as a gauge pin, place the bit through the holes in the column levers and the relay lever. All should align.
- Hold the shift rod down tightly in the swivel and tighten the bolt. Remove the gauge pin.
See Figure 2
- Loosen the nuts on either side of the swivel. Refer to the illustration of the floor shift linkage for component location.
- Move the shift control lever to neutral and move the control levers to the front detent and then back one. This will place the transmission in neutral.
- Place a 0.249-0.250 in. (6-7mm) gauge pin through the control levers and hold the shift rod levers forward tightly and tighten the nuts.
- Remove the gauge pin and lubricate the levers.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
3-Speed Column Shift
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Remove the rod-to-column clips.
- Disconnect the linkage at the column levers.
- Disconnect the linkage at the transmission levers by removing the swivel bolts.
- Unbolt the rods at the cross lever.
- Remove the cross lever and linkage rods.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Lightly grease all moving parts.
- Remove the cotter pin and the washer.
- Disconnect the shift rod from the control lever and remove the retainer and washer.
- Disconnect the shift rod from the shift lever and remove the nuts and swivel.
- Install but do not tighten the nuts and swivel.
- Connect the shift rod to the shift lever.
- Install the washer and new retainer.
- Connect the shift rod to the control lever and install the washer and new retainer.
- Adjust the shift linkage as outlined in this section.