REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
Clean the fuel rail assembly before removal. The fittings should be capped to prevent dirt from entering open lines.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Relieve fuel system pressure. Refer to the fuel system relief procedure in this section.
- Remove the manifold plenum.
- Remove the distributor.
- Disconnect the fuel lines at the rail.
- Unfasten the fuel pipe bracket bolt.
- Remove the fuel inlet and return line O-rings and discard them.
- Disengage the fuel injector electrical connectors and remove from the coil bracket.
- Unfasten the fuel rail retaining bolts.
- Disconnect the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator.
- Remove the fuel rail.
- Remove the O-rings seals and backups from the injectors. Discard the old seals but retain the backups for reuse.
Ensure that the O-ring backups are on the injectors before installing the O-rings. Lubricate the O-rings with clean engine oil before installation.
- Install the fuel rail in the intake manifold. Tilt the fuel rail assembly to install the injectors. Tighten the fuel rail retaining bolts to 89 inch. lbs. (10 Nm).
- Engage the injector electrical connectors.
- Install new O-rings on the fuel pipes.
- Install the fuel return and feed lines.
- Tighten the fuel pipe nuts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm) using a back-up wrench to prevent the fittings from turning.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Turn the ignition ON for 2 seconds and then turn it OFF for 10 seconds. Again turn the ignition ON and check for leaks.
- Install the manifold plenum.