REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise the vehicle and support it so that there is no tension on the leaf spring assembly.
- Remove the stabilizer bar.
- Loosen the spring-to-shackle retaining bolts. (Do not remove these bolts).
- Remove the bolts which attach the shackle to the spring hanger.
- Remove the nut and bolt which attach the spring to the front hanger.
- Remove the U-bolt nuts.
- Remove the stabilizer bar anchor plate, spacers, and shims. Take note of their positions.
- If so equipped, remove the auxiliary spring.
- Pull the spring from the vehicle.
- Inspect the spring and replace any damaged components.
If the spring bushings are defective, use the following procedures for Removal & Installation.3/4ton and 1 ton vans use bushings that are staked in place. The stakes must first be straightened. When a new bushing is installed stake it in 3 equally spaced locations. Using a press or vise, remove the bushing and install the new one.To install:
- Place the spring assembly onto the axle housing. Position the front and rear of the spring at the hangers. Raise the axle with a floor jack as necessary to make the alignments. Install the front and rear hanger bolts loosely.
- Install the spacers, shims, auxiliary spring and anchor plate or spring plate.
- Install the U-bolts, washers and nuts.
- Tighten the nuts, in a diagonal sequence, to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm), then final tighten the retainers to 192 ft. lbs. (260 Nm) on 1987-95 P models and 205 ft. lbs. (155 Nm) on G models.
- On 1996-97 models vehicles below 7300 GVW tighten the nuts to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm) and on vehicles above 7300 GVW tighten the nuts to 115 ft. lbs. (150 Nm).
- Make sure that the hanger and shackle bolts are properly installed. The front hanger bolt head is outboard as is the rear spring-to-shackle bolt head. The shackle-to-hanger bolt head faces inboard.
- Tighten the leaf spring front and rear hanger bolts to 107 ft. lbs. (145 Nm) on 1987-95 models. On 1996-97 models tighten the spring-to-front hanger nut to 80 ft. lbs. (110 Nm) + a 200 degree turn.
- Tighten the leaf spring front and rear hanger nuts to 92 ft. lbs. (125 Nm) on 1987-95 models. On 1996-97 models tighten the rear shackle to the rear hanger and spring to 67 ft. lbs. (90 Nm).
- Install the stabilizer bar.