REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Vehicles Without Air Bag
See Figure 1
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the turn signal switch. It is not necessary to completely remove the switch from the column. Pull the switch rearward far enough to slip it over the end of the shaft, but do not pull the harness out of the column.
- Turn the lock to RUN .
- Remove the lock retaining screw and remove the lock cylinder.
If the retaining screw is dropped on removal, it may fall into the column, requiring complete disassembly of the column to retrieve the screw.
- Rotate the key to the stop while holding onto the cylinder.
- Push the lock all the way in.
- Install the screw. Tighten the screw to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm) for regular columns, 22 inch lbs. for adjustable columns.
- Install the turn signal switch and the steering wheel.
EXCEPT 1996-97 MODELS
See Figure 1
- Properly disable the SIR (air bag) system, then disconnect the negative battery cable. For details on disabling the air bag system, please refer to Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.
- Matchmark and remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the SIR coil assembly retaining ring, then remove the coil assembly and allow it to hang freely from the wiring. Remove the wave washer.
On some SIR equipped vehicles, it may be necessary to completely remove the coil and wiring from the steering column before removing the lock cylinder assembly. If so, attach a length of mechanic's wire to the coil connector at the base of the column, then carefully pull the harness and wire through the steering column towards the top. Leave the wire in position inside the column in order to pull the harness back down into position during installation.
- Remove the turn signal switch from the column and allow it to hang from the wires (leaving them connected).
- Remove the buzzer switch assembly. On some vehicles it may be necessary to temporarily remove the key from the lock cylinder in order to remove the buzzer. If so, the key should be reinserted before the next step.
- Carefully remove the lock cylinder screw and the lock cylinder. If possible, use a magnetic tipped screwdriver on the screw in order to help prevent the possibility of dropping it.
- Align and install the lock cylinder set.
- Push the lock cylinder all the way in, then carefully install the retaining screw. Tighten the screw to 22 inch lbs. (2.5 Nm) on tilt columns or to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm) on standard non-tilt columns.
- If necessary, install the buzzer switch assembly.
- Reposition and secure the turn signal switch assembly
The coil assembly will become uncentered if the steering column is separated from the steering gear and allowed to rotate or if the centering spring is pushed down, letting the hub rotate while the coils assembly is removed from the steering column.
- Make sure the coil is centered, then install the wave washer, followed by the coil and the retaining ring. The coil ring must be firmly seated in the shaft groove.
- Align and install the steering wheel.
- Make sure the ignition is OFF , then connect the negative battery cable.
- Properly enable the SIR system.
See Figures 2, 3 and 4
When carrying a live inflator module, make sure that the bag and trim cover are pointed away from you. Never carry the inflator module by the wires or connector on the underside of the module. In case of accidental deployment, the bag will then deploy with minimal chance of injury.
When placing a live inflator module on a bench or other surface, always face the bag and trim cover up, away from the surface.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and disable the SIR system. Refer to the procedure in Chassis Electrical .
- Remove the upper and lower shroud, air bag module and the steering column.
- Remove the retaining ring, SIR coil assembly, wave washer.
- Remove the shaft lock retaining ring using tool J 23653-SIR or its equivalent to push down the shaft lock shield assembly. Discard the ring.
- Remove the shaft lock shield and turn signal cancel cam assembly.
- Remove the park lock cable assembly from the lock module assembly.
- Remove the key alarm switch, if equipped by gently prying the alarm switch retaining clip with a small screwdriver. Rotate the alarm switch 1 / 4 in. turn and remove.
- Remove the two tapping screws and the ignition key and alarm assembly. Let the switch hang freely.
- Remove the three pan head tapping screws and the lock module assembly.
- Remove the backing plate from the module.
OFF-LOCK position to ensure proper reassembly.
- Remove the sector gears.
- Remove the positioning tab on the end of the lock cylinder using an 1 / 8 in. burring tool. Remove all burrs from the lock module and cylinder assembly.
- Push on the locking tab of the lock cylinder from inside the lock module assembly and remove the lock cylinder.
- Align the marks on the sector gears and install the gears and the backing plate to the lock module assembly.
- Install the lock cylinder set and ensure that the lock module assembly is in the OFF-LOCK position.
- Install the key in the lock cylinder and ensure that it is in the OFF-LOCK position.
- Line up the locking tab with the slots in the lock module assembly and push the cylinder into position.
- Rotate the lock cylinder to the ACC position. The alignment arrows on the sector gears should be pointing towards each other.
- Rotate the lock cylinder to the LOCK position. Push the lock bolt in until it is flush and align the lock module assembly with the head assembly and install the lock module assembly.
- Install the three pan head screws and tighten to 53 inch lbs. (6 Nm).
- Install the ignition and key alarm switch assembly and the fasteners. Tighten the fasteners to 12 inch lbs. (1.4 Nm).
- Install the key alarm switch. Make sure the retaining clip is parallel to the lock cylinder. Rotate the alarm switch 1 / 4 in. turn until locked in place.
- Lubricate the lower brass surface of the turn signal cancel cam assembly with synthetic grease and install the assembly.
- Align the inner block tooth of the lock plate to block tooth of race and upper shaft assembly and install the assembly.
- Install a new shaft lock ring using tool J 23653-SIR and ensure the ring is firmly seated in the groove on the shaft.
- Install the center race and upper shaft assembly.
- Place the ignition switch to the lock assembly and ensure the coil is centered.
- Install the wave washer and the SIR coil assembly.
- Install the retaining ring and route the coil wire along the steering column.
- Install the wire harness straps to the steering column harness.
- Install the park lock cable assembly with the transmission in Park and the ignition switch in the OFF-LOCK position.
- Install the upper and lower covers, lock cylinder set and tilt lever (if equipped).
- Install the steering column and enable the SIR system. Connect the negative battery cable.