REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Set the front wheels in straight ahead position by driving vehicle a short distance on a flat surface.
- Matchmark the relationship of the universal yoke to the wormshaft.
- Remove the universal yoke pinch bolt.
- Mark the relationship of the Pitman arm to the Pitman shaft.
- Remove the Pitman shaft nut and then remove the Pitman arm from the Pitman shaft, using puller J-6632.
- Remove the steering gear to frame bolts and remove the gear assembly.
- Place the steering gear in position, guiding the steering gear shaft into the universal yoke.
- Install the steering gear to frame bolts and tighten to 75 ft. lbs. (101 Nm).
- Install the yoke pinch bolt. Tighten the pinch bolt to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Install the Pitman arm onto the Pitman shaft, lining up the marks made at removal. Install the Pitman shaft nut torque to 185 ft. lbs. (250 Nm).