REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise and support the front end on jackstands.
- Set the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Place a drain pan under the gear and disconnect the fluid lines. Cap the openings.
- Remove the flexible coupling pinch bolt (708 models) or the cardan joint clip bolt and nut (710 models).
- On 710, remove the cardan joint from the steering gear stub shaft.
- Mark the relationship of the Pitman arm to the Pitman shaft.
- Remove the Pitman shaft nut and then remove the Pitman arm from the Pitman shaft, using a puller.
- Remove the steering gear to frame bolts and remove the gear assembly.
- Place the steering gear in position, guiding the wormshaft into flexible coupling. Align the flat in the coupling with the flat on the wormshaft.
- Install the steering gear to frame bolts and tighten to 66 ft. lbs. (89 Nm) on the 708 models and 175 ft. lbs. (277 Nm) on the 710 models.
- On 708 models, install the coupling pinch bolt. Tighten the pinch bolt to 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm).
- On 710 models, install the cardan joint to the steering gear and tighten the bolt to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Install the Pitman arm.
- Connect the fluid lines and refill the reservoir. Bleed the system.