The hydraulic modulator is mounted to the side of the master cylinder. The master cylinder must be removed from the vehicle to allow the modulator to be separated.
Removal & InstallationSee Figure 1
- Remove the master cylinder from the vehicle, as detailed earlier in this section.
- Remove the Torx head screws that attach the gear cover to the bottom of the modulator, and remove the gear cover.
- Remove the 4 Torx head screws that connect the motor pack to the to the modulator assembly.
- Carefully remove the motor pack from the modulator assembly.
- Remove the two brake modulator-to-master cylinder bolts, and carefully separate the modulator from the master cylinder.
- Remove the two transfer tube from the brake modulator or master cylinder.
- Remove any banjo bolt O-rings that are stuck to the modulator or master cylinder.
Install the new transfer tubes as follows:
- Install new O-rings on both sides of each new transfer tube.
- Using fresh, clean brake fluid, (of the proper type) lubricate the new O-rings on both sides of each transfer tube.
- Install the transfer tube assemblies into the ports on the brake modulator. Push them in by hand, until they bottom out in the port.
- Using new O-rings, lubricated with clean brake fluid, install them onto the master cylinder and brake modulator.
- With the mounting flange of the master cylinder in a vise, carefully align the transfer tubes with the ports in the master cylinder, and rock the modulator into position.
- Make sure the transfer tubes are positioned properly, and install and tighten the two modulator-to-master cylinder bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- With the master cylinder/modulator assembly upside down, (looking down at the gears) rotate each modulator gear counterclockwise until it stops.
- Install the motor pack onto the modulator/master cylinder assembly. Tighten the four Torx screws to 44 in. lbs. (5 Nm).
- Install the gear cover onto the modulator/master cylinder assembly. Tighten the Torx screws to 36 in. lbs. (4 Nm).
- Install the master cylinder/modulator assembly to the vehicle as detailed earlier in this section.
- Bleed the master cylinder/modulator assembly of air as described in this section.