REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
The Park/Neutral position switch also functions as the back-up light switch.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the shifter linkage.
- Detach the switch electrical connector.
- Unfasten the mounting bolts and remove the switch from the transaxle.
- Place the shifter shaft in the N detent.
- Align the flats of the shift shaft with those of the switch.
- If replacing the switch, tighten the mounting bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm) and remove the pre-installed alignment pin.
If reinstalling the old switch, install the mounting bolts loosely and adjust the switch as follows:
- Insert a 3 /32 in. (2.34mm) max diameter gauge pin in the service adjustment hole and rotate the switch until the pin drops in to a depth of 9 /64 in. (9mm).
- Tighten the mounting bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm). Remove the gauge pin.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check the switch for proper operation. The reverse lights should illuminate when the transaxle is shifted into R. If the engine can be started in any gear except P or N, readjust the switch.
- Place the shifter in the N detent.
- The switch is located on the shift shaft on the top of the automatic transaxle. Loosen the switch attaching bolts.
- Rotate the switch on the shifter assembly to align the service adjustment hole with the carrier tang hole.
- Insert a 3 /32 in. (2.34mm) maximum diameter gauge pin into the hole to a depth of 9 /64 in. (9mm)
- Tighten the mounting bolts and remove the pin.