REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the drive belts.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the right front wheel and tire assembly and the inner fender splash shield.
- Remove the crankshaft damper. For details, please refer to the procedure located in this section.
When removing the cover, use care not to distort it!
- Unfasten the front cover-to-engine retaining screw/bolts, then remove the timing gear front cover.
- Carefully pry the seal out of the front cover using a suitable prying tool.
- Clean out the oil seal recess in the front cover.
- Install the new seal in the front cover using J-34995, or an equivalent installation tool, to fully seat the seal in the cover.
- Thoroughly clean and dry all mating surfaces. Apply a 1 /4 inch (6mm) wide by 1 /8 inch (3mm) thick bead of RTV sealant to the front cover at the block mating surfaces.
- A centering tool fits over the crankshaft seal and is used to correctly position the timing case cover during installation. Install the cover and partially tighten the 2 opposing timing case cover screws.
- Tighten the remaining cover screws in the sequence shown to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm), then remove the centering tool from the timing case cover.
- Install the crankshaft damper, then tighten the bolt to 162 ft. lbs. (220 Nm). Install the belts and the power steering pump.
- Install the splash shield and the right wheel and tire assembly.
- Carefully lower the vehicle. Adjust the drive belts.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then start the vehicle and check for leaks.