REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the drive belts.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the right front wheel and tire assembly and the inner fender splash shield.
- Remove the crankshaft damper. For details, please refer to the procedure located in this section.
When removing the cover, use care not to distort it!
- Unfasten the front cover-to-engine retaining screw/bolts, then remove the timing gear front cover.
- Carefully pry the seal out of the front cover using a suitable prying tool.
- Clean out the oil seal recess in the front cover.
- Install the new seal in the front cover using J-34995, or an equivalent installation tool, to fully seat the seal in the cover.
- Thoroughly clean and dry all mating surfaces. Apply a 1 /4 inch (6mm) wide by 1 /8 inch (3mm) thick bead of RTV sealant to the front cover at the block mating surfaces.
- A centering tool fits over the crankshaft seal and is used to correctly position the timing cas