REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1988-89 2.5L Engine
If the camshaft gear is to be replaced, the engine must be removed from the vehicle. The crankshaft gear may be replaced with the engine in the vehicle.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the inner fender splash shield.
- Remove the accessory drive belts.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley-to-crankshaft pulley bolt and slide the pulley from the crankshaft.
If replacing the camshaft gear, perform the following procedures:
- Remove the engine from the vehicle and secure it onto a suitable holding fixture.
- Remove the camshaft from the engine.
- Using an arbor press, press the camshaft gear from the camshaft.
- To install the camshaft gear onto the camshaft, press the gear onto the shaft until a thrust clearance of 0.0015-0.0050 inch (0.0381-0.127mm) exists.
If removing the crankshaft gear, perform the following procedures:
- Remove the front cover-to-engine bolts.
- Remove the attaching bolt and slide the crankshaft gear forward off the crankshaft.
- Clean the gasket mounting surfaces. Inspect the parts for damage and/or wear and replace damaged parts.
- The installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Make sure the timing marks are aligned mark-to-mark when installing.