See Figure 1
- Remove the ignition coil and check the coil with an ohmmeter for an open or ground.
- Connect the meter as indicated in Step 1 (meter on the high scale). Should read very high or infinite. If not, replace the coil.
- Connect the meter as indicated in Step 2 (meter on the low scale). Should read low or zero ohms. If not, replace the coil.
- Connect the meter as indicated in Step 3 (meter on the high scale). Should not read infinite. If it does, replace the coil.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly, if necessary for access to the ignition coil.
- Remove the secondary coil lead, using a twisting and pulling motion on the boot.
- Detach the harness connectors from the coil.
- Remove the coil mounting screws.
- Remove the ignition coil. If necessary, carefully drill and punch out the rivets holding the coil to the bracket.
- Place the ignition coil into position, then install the mounting screws.
- Attach the harness connectors to the coil. Make certain the connectors are fully seated and latched.
- Install the secondary lead to the coil tower, making sure it is fully seated.
- If removed, install the air cleaner assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.