See Figure 1
- Remove the rotor and pickup coil leads from the module.
Using an ohmmeter, test as follow:
- Connect 1 lead of the ohmmeter between the distributor housing and 1 of the pickup coil lead. Meter should read infinity. Flex the leads by hand while observing the ohmmeter, to check for intermittent opens.
- Connect the ohmmeter between leads between both of the pickup coil leads. Meter should read a steady value between 500-1500 ohms.
- If the readings are not as specified, the pickup coil is defective and should be replaced.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the distributor assembly from the vehicle as described in this section.
- Support the distributor assembly in a vice and drive the roll pin from the gear. Remove the shaft assembly.
- Remove the pickup coil retainer and shield.
- Lift the pickup coil assembly straight up to remove it from the distributor.
- Assemble the pickup coil, shield and retainer, then install the assembly on the distributor.
- Install the shaft.
- Install the gear and roll pin to the shaft. Make certain the matchmarks are aligned.
- Spin the shaft and verify that the teeth do not touch the pole piece.
- Install the distributor as outlined in this section.
- Connect the negative battery cable.