See Figures 1 and 2
The rearview mirror is attached to a support with a retaining screw. The support is secured to the windshield glass by using a plastic polyvinyl butyl adhesive. A service replacement windshield support has the mirror support bonded to the assembly. To install a detached mirror support or install a new part, use the following procedure.
- Determine the rearview mirror support position on the windshield. Refer to the accompanying figure.
- Using a wax pencil or crayon, mark a horizontal line following dimension A (in the figure) and a vertical line following the centerline of the windshield. Also mark a 3 in. (75mm) circle around the mounting area.
- On the inside surface of the windshield, clean a large circle with a paper towel and domestic scouring cleanser, window cleaning solution or polishing compound. Rub until area is completely clean and dry. When dry, clean the area with an alcohol saturated paper to remove any traces of scouring powder or cleaning solution from this area.
- With a piece of 320 or 360 grit emery cloth or paper, sand the bonding surface of the new rearview mirror support or factory installed support. If the original rearview mirror support is to be reused, all traces of the factory installed adhesive must be removed prior to installation.
- Wipe the sanded mirror support with a clean paper towel saturated with alcohol and allow it to dry.
- Follow the directions on the manufacturer's kit to prepare the rearview mirror support before installation on the windshield.
- Properly position the support to its pre-marked location, with the rounded end pointed upward, making sure the bevel is in the proper direction, press the support against the windshield for 30-60 seconds, exerting a steady pressure. After five minutes, any excess adhesive may be removed with an alcohol moistened paper towel or window cleaning solution.
- Reinstall the mirror.