- Remove the wheel and drum.
- Inspect the shoes for proper thickness. The lining should be at least 1 /32 in. (0.8mm) above the rivet head for riveted brakes and 1 /16 in. (1.6mm) above the mounting surface for bonded brake linings.
- Inspect the linings for even wear, cracking and scoring. Replace as necessary.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 11
To avoid confusion, replace one set of brake shoes at a time, leaving the other side of the vehicle intact for reference.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the tire and wheel assemblies, then remove the brake drum.
- Using tool J 8049, J 29840 or equivalent brake spring removal/installation tool, unfasten the primary and secondary shoe return springs from the anchor pin.
- Remove the hold-down springs and pins using suitable pliers or brake tool.
- While lifting up on the actuator lever, remove the actuator link, lever and lever return spring.
- Unfasten and remove the bearing sleeve.
- Remove the parking brake strut and spring.
- Remove the brake shoes, held together by the lower spring, after disconnecting the parking brake cable.
- Disconnect the adjusting screw assembly and adjusting screw spring.
- Remove the retaining ring, pin and parking brake lever from the secondary brake shoe.
- Lift the wheel cylinder dust boots and inspect for fluid leakage.
- Thoroughly clean and dry the backing plate.
- Remove, clean and dry all parts still on the old shoes with denatured alcohol. Lubricate the star wheel shaft threads and transfer all the parts to the new shoes in their proper locations.
- To prepare the backing plate, lubricate the bosses, anchor pin and parking brake actuating lever pivot surface lightly with the brake-compatible lubricant.
Apply a thin coating of high-temperature grease to the shoe pads on the backing plate. Too much grease may allow the brake shoes to become contaminated.
- Install the parking brake lever on the secondary shoe with the pin and retaining ring.
- Install the adjusting screw assembly and adjusting screw spring.
- Position the shoe and lining assemblies after attaching the parking brake cable.
- Spread the shoes apart, install the parking brake strut and strut spring. The end without the strut spring should engage the parking brake lever and secondary shoe and lining. The end with the strut spring should engage the primary shoe and lining.
In the next step, the bearing sleeve must be installed between the secondary and lining and the actuator lever. Refer to the accompanying figure.
- Install the bearing sleeve, actuator lever and lever return spring.
- Install the hold-down pins and springs.
- Fasten the actuator link on the anchor pin. While holding up the lever, fasten the actuator link into the lever.
- Secure the shoe return springs, using tool J 8057 or equivalent pliers.
- Adjust the brakes using the procedure located in this section.
- Aligning the marks made during removal, install the brake drum.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Carefully lower the vehicle, then tighten the lug nuts to 103 ft. lbs. (140 Nm).
- Adjust the parking brake, as outlined later in this section.