REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the air cleaner as necessary.
- Remove the distributor shield.
- Disconnect the ignition switch battery feed wire and tachometer lead (if equipped) from the distributor cap.
- Tag and unplug the coil connectors from the cap. Do NOT use a screwdriver, or equivalent tool to release the locking tabs.
- If necessary for access, tag and disconnect the spark plug wires, then release the spark plug wire harness latches, then remove the wiring harness retainer. The spark plug wire numbers are indicated on the retainer.
- Remove the distributor cap by using a screwdriver to turn the 4 retaining latches counterclockwise, or unfastening the 4 retaining screws, depending upon the vehicle. Move the distributor cap out of the way.
The rotor is secured with 2 screws and has a slot which fits over a square lug on the advance weight base, so that the rotor can be installed in only one position.
- Remove the 2 retaining screws, then lift the rotor from the distributor.
- Place the rotor on the distributor; it can only be installed in one position. Install the 2 rotor retaining screws.
- Position the distributor cap over the distributor and secure the 4 latches by turning them clockwise with a screwdriver, or installing the 4 retaining screws, as applicable.
- If removed, attach the spark plug wires, as tagged during removal, then install and secure the wire retainers.
- Attach the coil connectors to the cap, as tagged during removal. Make sure the locking tabs are fastened securely.
- Connect the tachometer lead (if equipped) and the ignition switch battery feed wire to the distributor cap.
- Install the distributor shield.
- Install the air cleaner cover and/or intake manifold plenum extension, as necessary.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
When inspecting a cap and rotor, look for signs of cracks, carbon tracking, burns and wear. The inside of the cap may be burnt or have wear on the carbon ends. On the rotor, look at the tip for burning and excessive wear.