Rack Bearing Preload
See Figure 1
- Make the adjustment with the front wheels raised and the steering wheel centered.
- Loosen the adjuster plug locknut, turn the adjuster plug clockwise until it bottoms in the housing, then back off about 1 /8 turn (35-45°). Tighten the locknut to 50 ft. lbs. (70 Nm) while holding the position of the adjuster plug.
- Check the steering for ability to return to center after the adjustment has been completed.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the left side sound insulator.
- Disconnect the upper pinch bolt on the steering coupling assembly.
- If equipped remove the line retainer.
- Remove the power brake booster away from the cowl wall, leaving the master cylinder attached.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove both front wheel assemblies.
- Remove the tie rod ends from the struts using Steering Linkage Puller J 24319-01 or equivalent.
- Carefully lower the vehicle.
- Unfasten the left and right mounting clamps.
- Disconnect the gear inlet and outlet hose assemblies from the pinion housing.
- Move the rack and pinion assembly forward, then remove the lower pinch bolt from the flange on the coupling assembly.
- Disconnect the coupling from the steering rack.
- Remove the dash seal from the rack and pinion.
- Remove the rack and pinion assembly through the left wheel opening.
- If the studs were removed with the mounting clamps, reinstall the studs into the cowl. If the stud is being reused, use Loctite to secure the threads.
- Slide the rack and pinion assembly through the left side wheel housing opening and secure the dash seal.
- Move the assembly forward and install the coupling.
- Install the lower pinch bolt and tighten to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Connect the gear inlet and outlet hose assemblies to pinion housing and tighten 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install the rack clamp nuts. Tighten the left side clamp first, then tighten the right side to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Connect the tie rod ends to the steering knuckle and install a new cotter pin. Install the wheels.
- Install the line retainer and lower the vehicle.
- Install the upper pinch bolt on the coupling assembly. Tighten to 29 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Install the sound insulator.
- Fill the power steering pump with fluid and bleed the system.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check the rack for proper operation and leaks.
- Check and adjust front end alignment, as required.