REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
Use care in removing the injector to prevent damage to the electrical connector pins on top of the injector, filter and the nozzle. The fuel injector is serviced as a complete assembly only. The fuel injector is an electrical component and should not be immersed in any type of cleaner.
- Relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Raise the hood, install fender covers, then remove the air cleaner assembly.
- If not done already, disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the electrical connector to the injector by squeezing on the tabs, then pulling upward.
- Remove the injector retainer screw and retainer.
- Place a smooth object on top of the fuel meter body, to act as a fulcrum.
- Insert a suitable prytool into the small lip of the injector opposite the electrical connection, then carefully pry against the fulcrum lifting the injector straight up.
- Remove the injector from the throttle body. Remove the upper and lower O-ring from the injector cavity. Be sure to discard both O-rings.
Check the fuel injector filter for evidence of dirt and contamination. If present, check for presence of dirt in the fuel lines or fuel tank. Be sure to replace the injector with an identical part. Injectors from other models may fit in the TBI 700 unit, but are calibrated for different flow rates.To install:
- Lubricate the new upper and lower O-rings with clean engine oil. Make sure that the upper O-ring is in the groove and the lower one is flush against the injector fuel filter.
- Install the injector assembly, pushing it straight into the fuel injector cavity. Be sure that the electrical connector end of the injector is parallel to the casting support rib and facing in the general direction of the cut-out in the fuel meter body for the wire grommet.
- Be sure to coat the threads of the retainer screw with a suitable thread locking compound, then install the injector retainer and tighten the screw to 27 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- Tighten the fuel filler cap, then connect the negative battery cable.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for two seconds, then turn to OFF position for five seconds. Turn the switch ON again, then check for fuel leaks.
- Install the air cleaner assembly.