REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- For 3.4L engines, remove the upper intake manifold, as outlined in Engine & Engine Overhaul of this repair guide.
For 1988-89 vehicles, perform the following:
- From inside the engine compartment, remove the panels around the booster assembly.
- Remove the booster grommet bolt and grommet.
- Remove the master cylinder or hydraulic modulator/master cylinder assembly, as applicable from the power booster.
- Scribe a mark on the front and rear booster covers in case the two covers get separated during removal.
When disconnecting the pushrod from the brake pedal, the brake pedal must be kept stationary or damage to the brake switch may result.
- Disconnect the brake pushrod from the brake pedal.
Unlock the booster from the front of the dash as follows:
- Attach booster holding tool J 22805-01, or equivalent, to the master cylinder mounting studs with the nuts. Tighten the stud nuts to 18-20 ft. lbs. (25-27 Nm).
- Use a suitable prybar to pry the locking tab on the booster out of the locking notch on the mounting flange.
- At the same time, turn the booster counterclockwise with a large wrench on the booster holding tool.
Do NOT attempt to remove the booster until the pushrod has been disconnected from the brake pedal.
- Disconnect the booster pushrod from the brake pedal.
- Remove the bra