- Remove the ignition coil(s).
- Using an ohmmeter, check the resistance between the primary terminals on the underside of the coil. The resistance should be 0.50-0.90 ohms.
- Check the resistance between the secondary terminals. It should be 5000-10,000 ohms.
- If the coil failed either test, replace the coil.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Tag and disconnect the spark plug wires.
- Unfasten the coil retaining nuts/screws, then separate and remove the coils from the module.
- Position the coils to the module, then secure using the retaining nuts/screws. Tighten the retainers to 40 inch lbs. (4.5 Nm).
- Attach the spark plug wires, as tagged during removal.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
On the 3.1L or 3.4L engines, this procedure must be performed before the engine is started and requires the use of a Tech 1®, or equivalent, scan tool.
If equipped with the 3.1L or 3.4L engine, perform the idle learn procedure to allow the ECM/PCM memory to be updated with the correct IAC valve pintle position and provide for a stable idle speed.
- Install a Tech 1®, or equivalent scan tool.
- Turn the ignition to the ON position, engine not running.
- Select IAC SYSTEM , then IDLE LEARN in the MISC TEST mode.
- Place the transaxle in P or N , as applicable.
- Proceed with idle learn as directed by the scan tool.