REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system into a suitable container.
- If equipped with drainPlugs on the engine, remove them. They would be located at the bottom of the block near the oil pan.
- Wearing proper eye protection, tap the bottom edge of the freeze plug with a punch and hammer. This should tilt the freeze plug, not cut it. Another method is to drill the freeze plug and use a slide hammer, but more often, there's not enough room to do that.
- After the freeze plug is removed, clean the area completely. Coat the freeze plug and/or bore with gasket sealant.
- Install the freeze plug into the hole, it must go in evenly or it will keep popping back out as you tap on it. Using a plug installer or socket that fits the edge of the plug can help keep it straight as you tap it in place.
- Fill the engine with coolant, then connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and check for leaks.