According to General Motors, manual transaxle fluid should be checked every 15,000 miles (24,000km) to make sure the level is full. The manufacturer does not recommends an interval for a manual transaxle fluid change, but after 100,000 miles (160,000km) the fluid should probably be changed.
The proper fluid for all manual transaxles is manual transaxle oil No. 12345349 or equivalent. DO NOT use any other fluid as damage may occur.
FLUID LEVEL CHECK
See Figure 1 and 2
To check for proper fluid level on the HM-282 or 5TM40, remove the fluid level dipstick located on the driver's side (left) in the transaxle case. The dipstick is located on the top of the differential housing on the Getrag 284 transaxle. With the engine warm, add enough fluid to bring the level to the proper level.
DRAIN AND REFILL
- Raise the vehicle and support with jackstands.
- Position a drainPan under the transaxle drainPlug. Remove the drainPlug/magnet and allow the fluid to drain completely.
- Clean and install the drainPlug, then tighten to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Using a long thin funnel, refill with the proper amount of 2 qts. of manual transaxle oil No. 12345349 or equivalent.
- Check the fluid level and add oil as required.
- Install the fluid level dipstick. Drive the vehicle for a short distance, then stop and inspect for leaks.