All W-body cars are equipped with sealed hub and bearing assemblies. The hub and bearing assemblies are not serviceable. If the assembly is damaged, the complete unit must be replaced.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Loosen the halfshaft/driveaxle nut and washer one turn. Do NOT remove the nut at this time.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle with jackstands.
- Remove the front wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the brake caliper, bracket and rotor. For details, please refer to the brakes section of this information guide.
- Remove the halfshaft/driveaxle nut and washer.
- Loosen the four hub/bearing-to-knuckle attaching bolts.
Protect the halfshaft boots from damage during removal.
- Using front hub spindle removing tool J-28733-A or equivalent, push the halfshaft splines back out of the hub/bearing assembly.
- Remove the hub/bearing-to-knuckle attaching bolts.
- If equipped, remove the ABS sensor mounting bolt and position the sensor aside to prevent damage.
- Remove the hub/bearing assembly from the vehicle. Inspect all components for damage, and replace as necessary.
- Position the hub/bearing assembly onto the halfshaft splines.
- Install the knuckle-to-hub/bearing assembly attaching bolts and tighten to 52 ft. lbs. (70 Nm).
- If equipped, properly position the ABS sensor and install the mounting bolt.
- Install the rotor, caliper and bracket assembly, as outlined in Brakes of this repair guide.
- Install a new halfshaft nut and washer. Do NOT tighten the nut at this time.
- Install the front wheel and tire assembly and hand-tighten the lug nuts.
- Carefully lower the vehicle.
- Install a new halfshaft/driveaxle nut and washer and tighten to 184 ft. lbs. (250 Nm).
- Tighten the wheel lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (136 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.