REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Open the hood.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the headlight bezel retainers and bezel.
- Remove the spring from the bottom edge of the headlight assembly.
Do NOT apply pressure to the plastic bubble of the vertical aim indicator.
- Detach the electrical connector from the assembly.
- Unfasten the two screws from the headlight retaining ring.
- Rotate the retaining ring away from the headlight.
- Remove the headlight from the vehicle.
- Position the headlight and retaining ring and secure with the two retaining screws. Tighten the screws to 18 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
- Attach the electrical connector to the assembly.
- Install the spring to the bottom of the headlight assembly
- Install the headlamp bezel and retainers.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then close the hood.
- Check for proper headlight operation.
See Figures 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
Most of the later model vehicles covered by this information are equipped with composite headlight assemblies. Due to space constraints, no access may be provided to withdraw the bulbs, so the replacement usually requires removal of the composite assembly.
- Raise the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Locate the bulb mounting location at the rear of the composite headlamp body.
If necessary for access to the bulb, perform one or more of the following steps:
- Remove the radiator upper air baffle.
- Raise the access cover/plastic flap covering the rear of the headlight assembly.
- Remove the headlight cover by turning the knob to release, then folding the cover back.
If necessary for Pontiac sedans, remove the center light bar assembly as follows:
- Remove the light bar retaining wing nuts.
- Detach the electrical connectors from the light bar, then remove the light bar from the vehicle.
For Pontiac sedans, perform the following:
- Unfasten the four headlight bolts, there are two at the bottom rear of the assembly and two at the top rear, behind the assembly.
- Cover the fender front cover, sidemarker lamp and fascia under the headlamp to protect from damage.
- Rotate the inboard side of the headlight assemblies forward to rest on the fascia.
- Tilt the headlight assembly rearward to access the peanut bulb socket from the bottom of the assembly.
- Remove the socket with the bulb, then remove the bulb. It may be necessary to detach the connector by carefully opening the tabs.
- Install the bulb in the socket, then secure the socket in the headlight assembly.
- For Pontiac sedans, position the headlight assembly, then install the four retaining bolts and tighten to 18 inch lbs. (2 Nm).
If necessary for Pontiac sedans, install the center light bar, as follows:
- Position the light bar and attach the electrical connectors.
- Instal the light bar retaining wing nuts, and tighten to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).