REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- If equipped, properly disable the SIR system, as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.
- If necessary for access to the battery, remove the air cleaner assembly.
- If not done already, disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If equipped, remove the SIR inflator module, as outlined earlier under Steering Wheel removal.
- Remove the steering wheel, if necessary.
- Remove the left-hand instrument panel sound insulator.
- Remove the lower left hand trim panel below the steering column.
- Push the top of the intermediate shaft seal down for access to the intermediate shaft seal coupling and upper coupling pinch bolt.
- Remove the intermediate shaft coupling pinch bolt.
- Disconnect the shift indicator cable end and casing from the shift cam and PRNDL adjuster or park/lock cable if equipped with a floor shift.
- Detach the transaxle shift cable from the ball stud on the steering column. Then remove the transaxle shift cable casing from the steering column bracket by depressing the two tabs.
- Unfasten the lower column, then the upper column bolts. Carefully lower the column to the seat.
- Detach the electrical connectors.
- Loosen the screw and separate the two halves.
- If equipped, detach the PASS-Key II®wiring connection.
- Withdraw the lower end of the steering column shift from the upper intermediate shaft coupling and remove the column from the vehicle. It may be necessary to spread the coupling clamp with a prytool to withdraw the steering shaft.
- Install the column back into the vehicle and insert the lower end of the column shaft into the upper intermediate shaft coupling.
- Attach the column electrical connector. Tighten the screw that draws the two halves together.
- If equipped, attach the PASS-Key II®electrical connector.
- Connect the transaxle shift cable and transaxle shift cable casing to the shift cam ball stud and column bracket or park/lock cable, if equipped with floor shift.
- Attach the transaxle shift indicator cable end and casing to the shift cam and PRNDL adjuster.
- Loosely install the upper and lower column bolts, then tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
When installing the steering column to the intermediate shaft, make sure that the shaft is seated before pinch bolt installation. If the bolt is inserted into the coupling before shaft installation, the two mating shafts may disengage.
- Install the upper intermediate shaft pinch bolt and tighten to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Pull up the intermediate shaft seal over the lower column until it locks into place.
- Install the trim panel below the steering column and the left-hand instrument panel sound insulator.
- Install the steering wheel and the inflator module, if equipped with an air bag.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- If removed, install the air cleaner assembly.
- If equipped, properly enable the SIR system, as outlined in Chassis Electrical of this repair guide.
- Check steering column operations.