- Remove the rotor and pickup coil leads from the module.
Using an ohmmeter, test as follows:
- Connect 1 lead of the ohmmeter between the distributor housing and 1 of the pickup coil lead. Meter should read infinity. Flex the leads by hand while observing the ohmmeter, to check for intermittent opens.
- Connect the ohmmeter between leads between both of the pickup coil leads. Meter should read a steady value between 500-1500 ohms.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
If it becomes necessary to replace the pick-up coil, thoroughly inspect the distributor once it is removed from the engine. If the shaft seems to bind or does not spin freely; if there is a great deal of sludge build up on the shaft, if any of the teeth on the distributor gear are chipped, if there is any reason to question the distributor in addition to replacing the pick-up coil; then replace the distributor.
- Remove the distributor from the engine.
- Once removed, mark the shaft and the driven gear for proper alignment during installation.
- Drive the roll pin from the shaft, using a pin punch.
- Press the driven gear from the shaft. Note the position of the gear for reassembly.
- Remove the washers from the shaft, noting their order of assembly.
- Slide the shaft from the housing; clean the shaft if necessary using solvent and/or emery paper.
- Disconnect the pick-up coil electrical connector from the module .
- Remove the "C" retainer that holds the pick-up in the distributor housing.
- Remove the pick-up from the distributor housing .
- Install the pick-up coil into the housing and secure it with the "C" clip retainer
- Connect the pick-up coil electrical connector to the module , slide the shaft into the housing.
- Slide the washers, in their proper order, back onto the bottom of the shaft
- Align the marks on the driven gear, housing and shaft assembly and drive or press the gear onto the shaft
- Install the roll pin into the shaft. Make sure it is centered, and not sticking out on either side.
- Install the rotor onto the shaft, and install the distributor into the engine following the procedure given in this section.
- Install the distributor cap and wires (if removed).
- Reset the timing.