- Remove the ignition coil(s).
- Using an ohmmeter, check the resistance between the primary terminals on the underside of the coil. The resistance should be 0.50-0.90 ohms.
- Check the resistance between the secondary terminals. It should be 5,000-8,000 ohms.
- If the coil failed either test, replace the coil.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Tag and disconnect the spark plug wires.
See Figure 1
- Remove the 2 screws securing the coil to the ignition control module.
- Remove the coil assembly by pulling straight up on the coil.
See Figures 2 and 3
- Install the coil assembly.
- Install the two screws securing the coil to the ignition control module. Do not overtighten.
- Connect the spark plug wires.