The track bar, in combination with the shock absorbers and control arms, maintain the relationship of the rear axle to the body, oppose torque reaction on acceleration and braking and provide for the best possible handling. The track bar was only available on early models.
Removal & Installation
- Support the rear axle and safely raise the vehicle.
- Remove the nut and bolt from both the rear axle and body attachments, then remove the track bar.
See Figure 1
- Position the track bar at the axle mounting bracket and loosely install the bolt and nut.
- Place the other end of the track bar in the body reinforcement and install the bolt and nut. Tighten the nut at the axle bracket to 44 ft. lbs. (60 Nm). Tighten the nut at the underbody reinforcement to 35 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Remove the rear axle support and carefully lower the vehicle.