When servicing the fuel rail assembly, precautions must be taken to prevent dirt and other contaminants from entering the fuel passages. It is recommended that fittings are capped and holes plugged during servicing.
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Clean the fuel rail assembly and connections. Use a spray type (carburetor) cleaner. Never immerse the fuel rail or components in a liquid solvent.
- Remove the fuel feed and return pipes from the fuel rail.
- Remove the vacuum line from the pressure regulator.
- Disconnect the injector electrical connectors.
- Remove the fuel rail hold-down bolts.
- Pull with equal force on both sides of the rail to remove it.
See Figures 1 and 2
- O-rings must be replaced on all components that are replaced.
- Lightly oil the injector O-rings with clean motor oil.
- Place the rail assembly on the manifold and seat the injectors by hand.
- Torque the fuel rail hold down bolts to 22 ft. lbs. (30Nm).
- Install the fuel feed and return lines by pushing the pipes onto the fuel rail tubes.
- Reconnect the fuel injector electrical connectors, and plug in the vacuum line to the pressure regulator.