Removal & Installation
It is recommended to replace all gaskets and O-rings on disconnected fuel system components. Read the procedure first to ensure that you will have the necessary parts to complete the repair.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Unplug the electrical connectors from the idle air control valve, throttle position sensor and fuel injectors.
- Disengage the injector wiring harness from the throttle body.
- Disconnect the throttle and the transmission control cables from the throttle body.
- If equipped, disconnect the cruise control cable.
- Remove the cables from the support bracket and/or remove the cable support bracket from the throttle body.
- Label and disconnect the vacuum and PCV hoses from the throttle body.
- Place a rag under the fuel line-to-throttle body connections (to catch any excess fuel), then disconnect the fuel lines from the throttle body.
Use a back-up wrench on the TBI fuel nuts to prevent them from turning.
- Remove the fuel line O-rings and discard.
- Remove the TBI attaching bolts and nuts and remove the TBI unit. Discard the gasket.
See Figure 91095g13
- Place a cloth in the intake manifold to prevent dirt from entering the engine.
- Thoroughly clean the gasket mounting surfaces using a gasket scraper, if necessary. Remove the Cloth.
- Position a new gasket onto the mounting flange. Install the throttle body and mounting bolts. Torque the throttle body-to-intake manifold nuts/bolts to 18 lbs. ft. (25 Nm).
- Install new O-rings onto the fuel lines and connect them to the throttle body. Use a back-up wrench and tighten the nuts to 20 lbs. ft. (27 Nm).
- Connect the vacuum hoses to the throttle body.
- If removed, install the cable support bracket and tighten the screws to 88 lbs. in..
- Install the throttle, transmission control and, if equipped, cruise control cables.
- Plug in the electrical connectors to the idle air control valve, throttle position sensor and fuel injectors. Make sure all the connectors are fully seated and latched.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for 2 seconds then turn to the OFF position for 10 seconds. Again turn the switch to the ON position and check for leaks.
- With the engine OFF , depress the accelerator pedal to the floor and release it. Ensure that the pedal returns freely.
- Install the air cleaner assembly.
If necessary, reset the IAC valve pintle position as follows:
- Depress the accelerator pedal slightly.
- Start and run the engine for 3 seconds.
- Turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds.
- Restart the engine and check for proper idle operation,