REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the oil pan assembly as outlined in this section.
- Remove the balance shaft chain cover.
- Loosen, but do not remove, the balance shaft chain tensioner.
- Remove the oil pump cover and the oil pump assembly.
- Rotate the engine until the number 1 piston is at TDC (Top Dead Center).
- Prevent the balance shafts from turning while loosening the driven shaft sprocket bolt.
- Remove the sprocket bolt, and matchmark the sprocket to the driven balance shaft. Remove the driven sprocket from the balance shaft.
- Remove the balance shaft housing fasteners and remove the balance shaft housing and shaft assembly.
- Inspect the balance shafts, bearings and journals for wear and/or damage. Compare to the specifications in the charts at the end of this section.
- Measure the gear backlash as specified later in this section. Correct or replace parts if necessary.
- Install the balance shafts and housing assembly onto the engine block.
- Apply sealant to the housing-to-block bolts.
- Tighten the bolts in sequence to the proper torque values, as shown in the accompanying figure.
- Install the balance shaft driven sprocket.
- Tighten the sprocket bolt to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Hold the balance shafts in the correct "timed" location and align the balance shaft drive chain with the teeth.
- Install the oil pump as described in this section.
- Install the balance shaft chain tensioner and tighten the bolt to 115 inch lbs. (13 Nm).
- Install the balance shaft chain cover.
- Install the oil pan using a new gasket.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the balance shaft assembly.
- Remove the 8 upper-to-lower balance shaft housing bolts.
- Separate the housings and remove the balance shafts.
- Remove the bearings and the thrust plate from the housing.
- Clean the housing, bearings, shafts, and the thrust plate.
Inspect the housing for:
Inspect the bearings for:
Inspect the balance shafts for:
Scores or burrs on journals
Inspect the thrust plate for:
Inspect the sprockets for:
Measure the balance shaft journals for following:
- Measure the bearings for bearing clearance.
- Measure the thrust plate thickness.
- Measure the gears backlash using a dial indicator.
- Compare all the measurements to the specifications in the charts at the end of this section. Replace any component(s) that are out of specification.
- Install the bearings into housings and install the balance shafts.
- Install the thrust plate and tighten the retaining bolts to 115 inch lbs. (13 Nm).
- Verify the proper gear backlash using a dial indicator.
- Install the upper and lower housings together and tighten the 8 upper-to-lower balance shaft housing bolts in sequence and to the proper torque values as shown in the accompanying figures and the chart at the end of this section.
- Install the balance shaft housing onto the engine block.