REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the ignition coil and module assembly electrical connections.
- Unfasten the ignition coil and module assembly-to-camshaft housing bolts, then remove the assembly by pulling it straight up.
- Remove the power steering pump.
- Detach the oil/air separator (crankcase ventilation system). Leave the hoses attached to the separator, disconnect from the oil fill, front cover and intake manifold, then remove as an assembly.
- Unfasten the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and fuel injector harness connector.
- Disconnect the fuel line retaining clamp from the bracket on top of the intake cam housing.
- Unfasten the fuel rail-to-camshaft housing retaining bolts, then remove the fuel rail from the cylinder head. Be sure to cover the injector openings in the cylinder head, cover the injector nozzles and leave the fuel lines attached and position the fuel rail aside (on top of the master cylinder).
- Disconnect the timing chain housing at the intake camshaft housing, but do not remove from the vehicle.
- Unfasten the cam housing cover-to-housing retaining bolts and the cam housing-to-cylinder head bolts.
- Push the cover off the housing by threading four of the housing-to-head retaining bolts into the tapped holes in the cover. Make sure to tighten the bolts evenly to remove the cover from the vehicle.
- Remove and discard the cover-to-housing seals and clean the mating surfaces.
- Position new seals on the camshaft cover. Refer to the accompanying figure.
- Apply pipe sealant to the camshaft housing and cover retaining bolt threads. Install the bolts, then tighten in sequence to the specifications in the accompanying figure.
- Fasten the timing chain housing.
- Uncover the fuel injectors, then lubricate new injector O-ring seals with clean engine oil and install them on the injectors.
- Uncover the injector openings in the cylinder head, then install the fuel rail onto the cylinder head. Install the fuel rail-to-cylinder head retaining bolts and tighten to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Install the fuel line retaining clamp and retainer to the bracket on top of the cam housing.
- Connect the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. Attach the fuel injector harness connector.
- Install the oil/air separator assembly. You may want to lubricate the hoses to ease installation.
- Lubricate the inner surface of the camshaft seal with clean engine oil, then install the seal into the camshaft housing using a seal installer.
- Using a pulley installer, install the power steering pump drive pulley onto the intake camshaft.
- Install the power steering pump assembly and the drive belt. Adjust tension to specification.
- Fasten any spark plug boot connector assembly that stuck to a spark plug back onto the ignition coil and module assembly.
- Position the coil and module assembly over the spark plugs, then push the assembly straight down. Make sure it is properly seated.
- Clean off any extra lubricant from the coil and module assembly-to-camshaft housing bolts. Apply pipe sealant onto the bolts, then tighten the bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Attach the coil and module electrical connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and inspect for oil leaks.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Detach the ignition coil and module electrical connection. Remove the coil and module assembly-to-camshaft housing bolts, then remove the assembly by lifting it straight up.
- Disengage the electrical connection from the oil pressure switch.
- Remove the transaxle fluid level indicator tube assembly from the exhaust camshaft cover, then position it aside.
- Disconnect, but do not remove from the vehicle, the timing chain housing at the exhaust camshaft housing.
- Remove the exhaust camshaft cover and gasket, then discard the gasket. Clean all old gasket debris from the cover mating surfaces.
- Position new camshaft housing-to-cover seals. No sealant is needed.
- Apply pipe sealant to the threads of the camshaft housing and cover retaining bolts.
- Position the cover onto the housing, then tighten the bolts, in sequence, to specification.
- Tighten the timing chain housing retainers.
- Install the transaxle fluid level indicator tube assembly to the exhaust camshaft cover.
- Attach the oil pressure switch electrical connector.
- Reinstall any spark plug boot connectors that may have been stuck to a spark plug, back onto the ignition coil and module assembly.
- Position the coil and module assembly over the spark plugs then push it straight down making sure it is firmly and properly seated.
- Clean off any lubricant on the coil and module-to-camshaft housing bolts. Apply pipe sealant to the bolts, then tighten them to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).
- Attach the ignition coil and module assembly electrical connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine and inspect for leaks.