REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
- If not done already, disconnect the negative battery cable.
- On the 3.1L engine, remove the intake manifold plenum, as outlined in .
- On the 2.4L engine, remove the fuel rail. Refer to procedure earlier in this section.
- Detach the vacuum line from the regulator.
- Place a shop towel under the regulator to catch any fuel that may drip out. Unfasten the fuel pressure regulator retaining screw, then remove the regulator by twisting and pulling it from the fuel rail.
- Remove and discard the O-ring seal. Inspect the filter screen for contamination and replace if necessary.
- Prior to assembling the pressure regulator to the fuel rail, lubricate the new rail-to-regulator O-ring seal with clean engine oil.
- Place the O-ring on the pressure regulator and install the pressure regulator to the fuel rail.
- Install the retainer or coat the regulator mounting screws with an approved thread locking compound and secure the pressure regulator in place. Tighten the mounting screw to 76 inch lbs. (8.5 Nm).
- If removed, install the fuel rail assembly to the engine.
- Connect the fuel feed line and return line to the fuel rail assembly, use a backup wrench on the fittings to prevent turning.
- Attach the vacuum line to the regulator.
- On the 3.1L engine, install the intake manifold plenum.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Turn the ignition to the ON position for two seconds, then turn it to the OFF position for ten seconds. Turn again to the ON position and check for fuel leaks.