The mechanical key and lock cylinder is located in the instrument panel assembly just to the right of the steering wheel. The electrical switching portion of the assembly is separate from the key and lock cylinder. However, both are synchronized and work in conjunction through the action of the actuator rod assembly.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- If equipped, disable the SIR system as outlined in . Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the ignition switch trim ring (bezel) by gently prying it out from the lock cylinder with a small suitable prytool.
- Remove the trim plate by gently prying around the edges with a small suitable prytool.
- Remove the tilt lever (if equipped) by pulling it firmly out from the steering column
- Snap off the upper steering column cover by gently prying between it and the bottom cover.
- Remove the lower steering column cover screws and lower the steering column cover.
- If necessary, remove the instrument panel cluster trim plate.
- Remove the two ignition switch bolts.
- Detach the two electrical connectors.
- Disconnect the ignition lock cable from the ignition switch.
- Remove the ignition switch from the vehicle.
- Insert the key into the ignition switch cylinder and rotate it into the RUN position.
- Press the cylinder release plunger located at the four o'clock position on the ignition switch.
- Use the key in order to pull the cylinder from the ignition switch.
- Assemble the cylinder into the ignition switch.
- Verify the engagement and operation of the cylinder using the key.
- The remainder of installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.