See Figure 1
- Place the shift lever in the N position.
- Turn the adjusting nut in until it contacts the manual select cable joint.
- Tighten the locknut.
To adjust the interlock cable (back drive cable ), use the following procedure:
- Shift the selector to the P position.
- Loosen the adjusting and locknut on the interlock cable.
- Pull the outer wire (interlock cable) forward so there is no deflection on the inner wire, tighten the adjusting nut hand tight only and then tighten the locknut.
After tightening the nuts, make sure that with the shifter lever shifted to the PARK position, the ignition key can be turned from the ACC to the LOCK position and the key can be removed from the ignition switch. With the selector lever shifted to any range other than the PARK position, the ignition key can not be turned from the ACC to LOCK position.
On the Metro adjust the shift lock solenoid so that it will operate as follows:
- When the ignition switch is turned OFF , the solenoid is not operated.
- When the ignition switch is turned ON , and the brake pedal is depressed, the solenoid is operated and the lock plate is positioned properly.
- There is no clearance between the lock plate and the guide plate.
- If the manual release knob is pulled when the ignition switch is turned OFF , the selector lever can be shifted from the P range to any other range.
After tightening the solenoid retaining nuts, make sure that with the shifter lever shifted to the PARK position, the ignition key can be turned from the ACC to the LOCK position and the key can be removed from the ignition switch.
OIL PRESSURE CONTROL CABLE
Inspect and/or adjust the accelerator cable play by performing the following procedures:
- At the carburetor, check the amount of play in the accelerator cable; it should be 0.40-0.59 in. (10-15mm) cold or 0.12-0.19 in. (3-5mm) warm.
- If necessary to adjust, loosen the locknut and turn the adjustment nut until the correct specifications are met.
- After adjustment, tighten the locknut.
- Operate the engine until normal operating temperatures are reached and allow the engine to idle; make sure the carburetor is not on the fast idle step.
- From near transaxle's dipstick tube, remove the oil pressure control cable cover. Using a feeler gauge, check that the boot-to-inner cable stopper clearance is 0-0.02 in. (0-0.5mm).
If the clearance is not within specifications, perform the following procedures:
- Loosen the adjusting nuts (engine side of bracket) and turn them to adjust the clearance.
- If the adjustment (engine side) fails to establish the clearance, tighten the nuts and move the other side (dipstick side) of the bracket.
- Loosen the adjusting nuts (dipstick side of bracket) and turn them to adjust the clearance.
- After adjustment is complete, tighten the adjusting nuts, recheck adjustment and install the cover.
INTERLOCK (BACK DRIVE) CABLE
See Figure 2
- Place the shift selector into the P position.
- Loosen both back drive cable nuts.
- Pull the outer wire forward so there is no deflection on the inner wire and tighten both nuts (hand tight); tighten the nut farthest from the clevis end first and then tighten the other nut.
After tightening the nuts, check the following situations:
- With the shift selector in the P position, the ignition key can be turned from ACC to LOCK position and removed from the ignition switch.
- With the shift selector in any position, other than P , the ignition key cannot be turned from ACC to LOCK position.
THROTTLE VALVE (TV) CABLE
See Figure 3
- Inspect the accelerator cable for play and adjust if necessary.
- Star the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temperature.
- Remove the TV cable adjustment cover.
- Measure the TV cable boot to inner cable stopper clearance with a feeler gauge. If clearance is more than 0.02 in. adjust the cable.
- Adjust the clearance by turning the TV cable adjustment nuts until proper clearance is reached.
- The accelerator cable nuts may also be used to adjust the TV cable if no further adjustment on the TV cable is available.