A mechanical fuel pump is mounted on the cylinder head. The diaphragm in fuel pump is actuated from the cam on the engine camshaft, through a fuel pump rod and rocker arm of the fuel pump.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the fuel filler cap to release the fuel vapor pressure in the fuel tank. Reinstall the cap.
- Remove the air cleaner
- Remove the fuel inlet, outlet and return hoses from the fuel pump.
- Remove the fuel pump from the cylinder head.
- Remove the fuel pump rod from the cylinder head.
- Lubricate and install the fuel pump rod.
- Install the fuel pump using a new gasket.
- Install the inlet, outlet and return hoses to the fuel pump.
- Install the air cleaner
- Connect the negative battery cable. Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Disconnect the fuel outlet hose from the fuel pump.
- Connect a pressure gauge to the outlet hose using a T-fitting.
- Start the engine and read the fuel pressure on the gauge.
- Fuel pressure should be at lead 3.5 psi. If not, check for clogs or leaks in the fuel system.
- If the fuel system hoses and pipes are clear, replace the fuel pump.