REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the transaxle.
- Install pilot tool J-34860 for Sprint or J-37761 for Metro into the pilot bearing to support the clutch assembly.
- Matchmark the clutch cover and flywheel for installation reference.
- Loosen the clutch cover-to-flywheel bolts, one turn at a time (evenly) until the spring pressure is released.
- Remove the clutch disc and clutch cover.
- Clean the flywheel mating surfaces of all oil, grease and metal deposits. Inspect flywheel for cracks, heat checking or other defects and replace or resurface as necessary.
- Check the wear on the facings of the clutch disc by measuring the depth of each rivet head depression. Replace clutch disc when rivet heads are 0.02 in. below surface of clutch surface.
- Check diaphragm spring and pressure plate for wear or damage. If the spring or plate is excessively worn, replace the clutch cover assembly.
- Check the pilot bearing for smooth operation. If the bearing does not spin freely, replace it.
- Position the clutch disc and clutch cover with the matchmarks aligned and support with pilot tool.
- Install the clutch cover bolts and tighten evenly to 18 ft. lbs. (23 Nm). Remove the pilot tool.
- Lightly lubricate the splines, pilot bearing surface of the input shaft and release bearing with grease.
- Install the transaxle.
- Adjust the clutch cable.