This system reduces Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) and oxidizes Hydrocarbons (HC) and Carbon Monoxide (CO). In order for the converter to function properly the air/fuel ratio of the fuel system must be constantly maintained 14.7:1.
Check to be sure a light can be seen through the catalytic converter when removed. If not, replace the converter. This unit is usually covered under the 5/50 emissions warranty.
- Carefully remove the oxygen sensor. Install an exhaust back pressure tester or equivalent, in place of the oxygen sensor.
- With the engine at normal operating temperature, observe the tester reading on the gauge. The reading should not exceed 1 / 4 psi (18.6 kPa).
- Accelerate the engine to 2000 rpm and observe the gauge. The reading should not exceed 3 psi (20.7 kPa).
- If the back pressure at either rpm exceeds specifications, an exhaust system restriction is indicated.
- Inspect the entire system for a collapsed pipe, heat distress or internal muffler failure. If there are no obvious reasons for excessive back pressure, a restricted catalytic converter should be suspected.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The catalytic converter is an integral part of the front exhaust pipe assembly. If the converter requires replacement, the front pipe assembly must be replaced as a unit.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove two bolts and disconnect the front pipe/catalytic converter assembly from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove two nuts and disconnect the front pipe/catalytic converter assembly from the resonator/muffler/tailpipe assembly.
- Remove the hanger supporting the catalytic converter and remove the front pipe/catalytic converter assembly from the vehicle.
- Clean the gasket mating surfaces thoroughly.
- Install the front pipe/catalytic converter assembly to the vehicle and support catalytic converter with hanger.
- Connect the front pipe/catalytic converter assembly with a new gasket to the resonator/muffler/tailpipe assembly. Secure with two nuts by do not tighten fully.
- Connect the front pipe/catalytic converter assembly with a new gasket to the exhaust manifold. Secure with two bolts by do not tighten fully.
- Align all system components properly to prevent any noise or vibrations before tightening fasteners.
- Tighten resonator/muffler/tailpipe assembly nuts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm) and front pipe/catalytic converter assembly bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm). Tighten catalytic converter hanger bolts to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Lower vehicle. Start the engine and check for leaks.