All models utilize an integral regulator charging system. The integrated circuit (IC) regulator is a solid state unit that is mounted inside the alternator to the rear end frame. All regulator components are enclosed in a solid mold to protect them from the heat and corrosive elements.
The alternator rotor bearings contain enough grease to eliminate the need for periodic lubrication. Two brushes carry current through two slip rings to the field coil, mounted on the rotor. Under normal conditions, this arrangement is capable of providing long periods for attention-free service.
Stator windings are assembled inside a laminated core that forms part of the alternator drive end frame. A rectifier bridge, that contains six diodes, is connected to the stator windings. These diodes electrically change stator AC voltage into DC voltage. The DC voltage is then transmitted to the alternator output terminal.
Two neutral diodes are utilized to smooth out voltage fluctuations caused by varying alternator speeds. A capacitor (condenser), mounted in the regulator, protects the rectifier bridge and neutral diodes. This capacitor also suppresses radio interference noise.
To prevent damage to the on-board computer, alternator and regulator, the following precautionary measures must be taken when working with the electrical system.
REMOVAL and INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove other components as necessary to gain access to the alternator.
- Label and disconnect the alternator's electrical connectors.
- Remove the alternator brace bolt and the drive belt.
- Support the alternator while removing the mounting bolts, then remove the alternator.
- Install the alternator and loosely tighten the mounting bolts.
- Install the drive belt and tension to obtain a deflection of 1 / 4 inch on the longest span of the belt.
- Tighten the alternator drive belt adjuster bolt to 17 ft. lbs.. (23 Nm).
- Reconnect the electrical connector and tighten nut to 71 inch lbs.. (8 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.