REMOVAL and INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the cylinder head from the engine.
- Remove the camshaft and, as required, the rocker arms.
- Number and remove the valves from the engine.
- Using a valve guide remover press the valve guide out from the combustion chamber side to the valve spring side of the cylinder head.
Never reuse a valve guide once removed from the cylinder head.
- Ream the valve guide hole in the cylinder head to remove burrs.
- Heat the cylinder head uniformly at a temperature of 176-212°F (80-100°C) so that the head will not be distorted during valve guide installation.
- Install the valve guide into the cylinder head.
- Drive the guide into the cylinder head until there is 0.45 in. (11.5mm) of the valve guide protruding from the top of the cylinder head.
- Ream the valve guide bore to obtain the proper valve guide-to-valve clearance.
- Reface the valves and valve seat as required.
- Lubricate and install the valves.
- Install the valve seals, springs, retainers, locks, lash adjusters (as required), and camshaft.
- Install the cylinder head on the engine.
- Adjust the valve lash as required.