REMOVAL and INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the cylinder head from the engine.
- Remove the camshaft and, as required, the rocker arm assemblies.
- On engines equipped with hydraulic lash adjusters, remove the adjusters and place in order of removal.
- Using a spring compressor, compress the valve springs and remove the locks from the retainers.
- Remove the retainers and springs from the cylinder head.
- Install the springs and retainers on the cylinder head one cylinder at a time.
Position the valve spring with the small pitch end facing the cylinder head.
- Using a spring compressor, compress the valve springs and install the locks in the retainers.
- Once all cylinders are assembled, use a rubber hammer to hit each valve assembly on the retainer side. This will positively seat the locks in the retainer.
- On engines equipped with hydraulic lash adjusters, lubricate and install the adjusters in their original positions.