REMOVAL and INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by the ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Loosen but do not remove the four coolant pump pulley bolts.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the lower splash shield.
- Remove the air conditioner compressor drive belt.
- Remove the lower alternator cover plate bolts, loosen the alternator adjusting bolt and remove the drive belt.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley.
- Remove the coolant pump pulley.
- Remove the timing belt.
- Remove the oil level dipstick and guide tube.
- Remove the alternator adjusting bracket from the water pump.
- Remove the water pump rubber seals.
- Remove the water pump mounting bolts and nuts. Remove the water pump from the vehicle.
- Clean the gasket mating surfaces thoroughly.
- Check the water pump by hand for smooth operation. If the pump does not operate smoothly or is noisy, replace it.
- Install the pump using a new gasket. Tighten bolts to 115 inch lbs.. (13 Nm).
- Install new rubber seals.
- Install the upper alternator adjusting bracket and tighten bolt to 17 ft. lbs.. (23 Nm).
- Install the oil level dipstick and guide tube.
- Install the timing belt.
- Install the water pump pulley and leave the bolts hand tight.
- Install the crankshaft pulley.
- Install the water pump/alternator drive belt.
- Install the lower alternator cover plate and tighten bolts to 89 inch lbs.. (10 Nm).
- Install the air conditioner compressor drive belt by releasing the tensioner pulley and installing belt.
- Install the lower splash shield and lower vehicle.
- Tighten water pump pulley mounting bolts to 18 ft. lbs.. (24 Nm).
- Adjust the water pump drive belt tension and tighten alternator adjustment bolt to 17 ft. lbs.. (23 Nm).
- Install the air cleaner assembly.
- Refill the cooling system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature. Check for leaks and refill cooling system as necessary.