REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the brake hose clip, then the hose from the strut.
- Remove the upper strut support nuts from the engine compartment.
- Remove the strut-to-steering knuckle bolts, then the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Install the strut assembly onto the vehicle. Install the upper support nuts loosely. Then install the strut-to-steering knuckle bolts and tighten to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
- Tighten the upper strut support nuts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Install the brake hose clip.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Check front end alignment.
See Figure 2
- Remove the strut from the vehicle.
- Mount the strut in a suitable spring compressor.
- Compress the strut spring slowly and evenly to approximately half is height after initial contact with top cap. Never bottom spring.
- Remove the retainer nut from the strut shaft.
- Remove the strut from the assembly.
- Disassemble the strut components and inspect for damage or wear. Replace worn or damaged components as required.
- Mount strut on spring compressor.
- Position spring on strut and ensure spring is properly seated on spring plate.
- Install all shields, bumpers and insulators on shaft. Install spring seat on top of spring.
- Lower the compressor to capture spring seat and pull up strut rod to full extension.
- Compress spring and guide the strut rod through bearing cap.
During compression of the spring be sure to guide the shaft through the exact center of the bearing. If the threads of the strut rod catch on the bearing cap and prevent the shaft from passing cleanly through the bearing, stop compressing immediately. Decompress the spring and begin again.
- Compress spring until approximately 1 inch of the damper rod protrudes through the bearing cap. Do not compress the spring any further. Install and tighten nut to 29 ft. lbs. (40 Nm).
- Apply grease to strut nut and threads.
- Back off spring compressor and remove strut assembly.
- Install the strut into the vehicle and tighten the fasteners to specifications.
- Inspect the front alignment.